Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Crackin' wise

This morning I stopped at the Quick Trip for a morning cuppa before work.

It's on the way to the office and I have a refillable mug and the office coffee is worse than drinking turpentine (and I should know), so there's really no reason NOT to get my java fix.

Anyhoo, I head up to the counter with my hot Colombian Supremo (with a squirt of half&half) and pay the cashier. I get my change and turn to head out the door.

As I'm turning, I overhear the woman next to me say "... sorry, I don't have the extra two cents." Turns out her items cost a total of some number of dollars and two cents. I realized that when I received my change, part of it included two pennies.

Now was my chance to do a random good deed.

"Here you go," I said as I tossed the Lincoln's on the counter.

I got the expected "Thanks" and smile. And I felt pretty good about it I guess. But I didn't do this random act of kindness for the thanks, or the smile, or even the feeling of doing something nice for a complete stranger.

Rather, I did it for the chance to be able to say "No problem. It's just my two cents."

Yeah. I'm corny like that.

tagged: , , , ,

3 comments:

  1. I gotta admit, Emaw.

    This post is not your best.

    But I chuckled just a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rather, I did it for the chance to be able to say "No problem. It's just my two cents."

    Dude, that's actually pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shane, thanks for the compliment (I think).

    JP, takes one to know one.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn to riff...