Monday, October 06, 2008

Socky

One of the good things about our recent trip to Branson was the shopping.

Not that I'm an authority on shopping. I hate shopping. Frankly, I'd rather watch Larry Moore do a naked burlesque show than spend even five minutes in a mall.

But I had a nice score in a Branson outlet mall that almost makes the entire trip worthwhile.

First, a little background: About five years ago, I went through a simplification regimen. This consisted of getting rid of some of the extraneous "stuff" in my life. Focus on the important things, streamline the processes, etc. As part of this exercise, I got rid of all the fancy socks I used to wear to work and replaced them with plain black socks.

These are special (to me) socks, a lycra/cotton blend from Jockey that was comfortable and tended not to fade as much as other socks. At the time, I could only find them at one store, so I stocked up with a couple dozen pairs.

The beauty of the system is that they are all identical and they pretty much go with anything I might wear to work, so I never had to worry about finding a pair of matching socks. They all matched each other, see?

Over the years, a sock would wear out and I could just throw a new one into the rotation. This worked great until the store I shopped at quick carrying them. I searched online and couldn't find them anywhere.

As I started to wear holes into the heels of more socks, I resigned myself to the fact that my great sock experiment was coming to a close. I even went so far as to wear a couple of pairs of non-standard socks that I had received as a Christmas present (yes, I received socks as a Christmas present. Sad isn't it).

Then, while on a stroll around a Branson outlet mall while my Supermodel Wife was buying factory outlet-priced Supermodel clothes, I saw a Jockey outlet store. I felt a slight tinge of hope. I stepped in and saw a display of the very socks I needed -- and at factory outlet prices no less.

So, I restocked on socks. I've got a nice big stack of two dozen socks just waiting to move into the rotation as their older brethren wear out.

Life will continue to be simple for me -- at least in the sock department.

tagged: , , , ,

8 comments:

  1. Yes. But did you pick up a candy raccoon on a log? If you didn't, your shopping trip was a big fail. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My definition of a successful shopping trip is not having to go on one. In other words, any shopping trip, ipso facto, is a big fail.

    BTW, candy raccoon on a log? Is that a euphemism for something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Branson and an outlet mall in one trip. I'm getting the vapors just thinking about that.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You, sir, are a genius. Why they make socks in any colors but black and white baffles me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right Dan. Black socks go with everything: Dress slacks, khakis, jeans, cargo shorts, bathrobes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did the same thing a couple of years ago for the hubby & I. It's genius. Really!

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad it had a happy ending. we have all suffered enough over falling socks. its good to hear that the Sock market is still flourishing.


    sorry..couldnt help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! If you feel like going on vacation where it's nice and beautiful then check out Branson vacation.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn to riff...