Thursday, June 19, 2008

Star Trek-themed weddings are totally gay

I’m reading a lot of commentary around the blogiverse about the recent flood … of California gay marriages.

There has been a lot of "We're queer, we're married, get used to it!"

Plenty of "Married at last, married at last, thank God in Heaven we're married at last."

And even some "Gay people getting married and Jimmy cracking corn are two thing I don’t care about."

But my favorite take has been from my good friend from high school, PDSH.
I guess in a way I'm still bitter. Why shouldn't we just be able to pay for the certificate and have the state recognize something that already occurred? Why do we have to have another ceremony? The Clerk's service was nice, but I'm pretty sure I don't need someone to tell me how marriage is not to be entered into lightly.
I think this is close to the way I've approached the issue all along.

The way I see it -- and this is especially true in my case -- if you can find someone who can stand to be around you for the rest of your life you should hang on to them like grim death.

Getting married is nice, but it's mostly just ceremonial. It's more for the family of the two people involved, rather than for the two people involved. I know there are issues of health care, taxes, inheritance, etc. But these seem to be more civil issues than marital ones.

That makes it sound like I favor civil unions over actual gay marriage. That's not the case at all. I don't begrudge anyone the right to an according-to-Hoyle marriage with all the rights, privileges and nagging that entails.

Not being a gay guy (or gal for that matter), I'm not sure how much my perspective even counts here. But I've always thought it seemed a little insulting to gay people for us straighties to tell them it's okay for them to get married.

As if they need our permission to commit to each other.

Doesn't it seem a little condescending for straight people to "allow" gay people to get married? And why, if you were a gay person, would you even want acknowledgment from the "straight community" on your personal choices.

The answer is that even if it does feel a little condescending, it's good to have this milestone of equality finally passed. With the flamboyant genie finally out of the closet bottle, society can move toward jumping the next hurdle.

Plus, as a bonus, gay marriage really pisses off the leader of a certain fake-religious sect in the Topeka area that I no longer mention by name. Which is good.

Anyway, congratulations to all the newly hitched homos out there. May your wedding nights be FABULOUS.

tagged: , , , , ,

1 comment:

  1. I think his name is Fred Phelps of the Westboro Baptist Church. Glad I can help!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn to riff...