Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Highs and Lowes

The new Lowes store on the north end of Roe Avenue is having its grand opening this week, and I couldn't be more stoked.

Before this store opened, the nearest Lowes was in O-freakin'-lathe, a half-hour drive from my house. Of course there was the Home Depot store in Merriam, a mere 10-minute drive, but this new Lowes is only about 5 minutes away. Ain't capitalism great?

This is a good example of redevelopment gone right. The new Lowes sits on the location of what used to be a post-apocalyptic wasteland that formerly had a grimy grocery store and a bunch of vacant building.

Here's a picture:


But with the opening of the new Lowes and the spectacular Price Chopper food market, the area is thriving. Many smaller stores are opening alongside it.

My only beef is that they couldn't find a way to redevelop this area without adding in a couple of giant parking lots.

tagged: , , , , , ,

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Tree-Hugging Roeland Park Man- The Star ran a story today about your burg's ban on smoking in restaurants. Trouble is, I can't think of any restaurants in the city limits, save for Taco Bell and Burger King. What am I overlooking? That Burger King, btw, has the fastest service of any joint in town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, did you hear the sound bite I posted? I thought you'd appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. echele,

    I heard that clip, good find. That New Jersey name thing has been great for late nite talk show comedians and bloggers. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn to riff...