Tuesday, October 03, 2006

YouTube Tuesday: Put Something In

Our soon-to-be four-year-old daughter is really into reading. We've always read to her every day, and she's got a bookshelf that would shame Captain Kangaroo.

A love of reading is something I inherited from my parents and we want to pass it on to Bethany.

It seems to be paying off. For the last four months or so, she has been honing her reading skills -- practicing writing and sounding out the letters, spelling her name (and ours), playing word games like "What starts with 'B'" etc.

So I decided to kick up the reading level a notch and bought a copy of Shel Silverstein's Where the Sidewalk Ends.

The whimsy and poetic format have been a big hit with Bethany. She particularly likes to read about The Hippopotamus Sandwich ("The hardest part is biting in to it.").

So when I saw that there was a Silverstein video poem on YouTube, I thought it might be fun to show it to Bethany.

Then I watched it, and it gave me a severe case of the heebie-jeebies.

Enjoy (if you can).

tagged: , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

  1. WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT???
    Was that a poem for kids or a ghost stoy??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silverstein does have a bit of a dark side to him in his poems, but this thing's enough to encourage long discussions with your young'uns about monsters in closets.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn to riff...