Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Blogger v. Twitter

Of course. Twitter is a de rigueur cyberflavor of the week. But I would hate to think that my favorite bloggers were abandoning their long-form musings for Twitter's quick 140-character fix.

And I'm not the only one. My good friend Logtar has thrown down the gauntlet for a sudden death, Thunderdome-style massive laser tag battle royal to determine once and for all who will be left standing to rule Kansas City's digital landscape.

And judging from the comments on his post, bloggers are severely outnumbered by Twits.

But I don't want that to discourage any of you bloggers out there. Don't worry that we may be outnumbered. That's a good thing. In fact, that's the way I want it!
If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our blogs loss; and if to live,
The fewer bloggers, the greater share of honour.
Blogger's will! I pray thee, wish not one blogger more.
By WordPress, I am not covetous for followers,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my RSS;
It yearns me not if men my status follow;
Such outward things dwell not in my Google results.

But if it be a sin to covet pageviews,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, Faith (my link) wish not a twit from Twitter.
Blogger's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one twitterer more methinks would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!

Rather proclaim it, Blogspot, through my post,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his Fail Whale shall be made,
We would not blog in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to laser tag with us.

This day is call'd the Blogger vs Twitter.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe homepage,
Will write long blogs when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Wordpress.

Short tweets forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with archives,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our avatars,
Familiar on his keyboard as household words-
Logtar, Nightmare and T-Rave,
Wrytir and Nuke, Chimpo and Emawkc-
Be in their 140-character tweets freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good blogger post on Facebook;

And blogger/tweeter meetup shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the Internet,
But we in it shall be remembered-

We few, we happy few, we band of bloggers;
For he today that shoots toy lasers with me
Shall be a blogger...


tagged: , , , ,

5 comments:

  1. sorry ancient endlish is not my specialty, I am still struggling with the modern version. but i clicked on the links, does that count?
    strangely my verification word is "ovesum" must be russian for awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forsooth.

    If it were done, then ’twere well it were done quickly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now a blog post is too long to read? Jeez! This generation really is useless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot abide having only 145 characters to make a point. I fear that the likes of Twitter are making it difficult, if not impossible, for people to truly think, and further communicate ideas. It's as if we are coasting into a world of Orwellian Newspeak, where everything is boiled down to meaningless adjectives and emoticons.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not called Twitter for nothing. Reminds me of the sound birds make when mating.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn to riff...