Thursday, September 17, 2009

Random Photo XVI: You say tomato, I say it's about freakin' time

Way back in the days of yore, about the end of April, I invested twenty bucks in some potting soil and a couple of those TopsyTurvy upside-down tomato planters.

It was springtime. My mind was full of dreams of July when I would be picking fresh, vine-ripe tomatoes and eating them right off the plant while they were still warm from the heat of the summer sun.

But then a few storms hit. My tomato plants were pummeled with rain, the new vines broken. Sure, they recovered. Tomatoes are hearty plants. But the combination of spring abuse and a relatively cool, cloudy and wet summer meant that it wasn't until late September that I would be able to enjoy the upside down fruits of my labor.

But they are still delicious.

tagged: , , , , , ,

2 comments:

  1. I made my own upside down planters and planted cherry tomatoes and cucumbers and we had a small crop of both.Next year I'll try again with a better heavier soil that doesn't dry up easily.I was surprised how big both plants ended up growing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to grow some hippy lettuce in one of those.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn to riff...