I was in high school the last time Da Bears were in the Super Bowl, a time of break dancing, clothes with lots of zippers, and of course, the Super Bowl Shuffle.
I can't believe me and my adolescent comrades took this song seriously (can anyone thing of a more blatant attempt to make a bunch of black guys look white and white guys look even whiter?) but such are the ways of youth.
Here are a few fun facts about the Super Bowl Shuffle, courtesy of mental_floss:
* The song actually reached #41 on the Billboard charts.
* The song actually was nominated for a Grammy, for best Best Rhythm & Blues Vocal Performance. The Bears lost to Prince.
* Defensive end Dan Hampton felt it was too cocky and declined to participate.
* In 1998, The Onion brilliantly reported ‘85 Chicago Bears Return to Studio: Shufflin’ Crew begins work on long-awaited follow-up album.
* You can find the complete lyrics here.
BONUS: As long as we're on this trip down amnesia lane, here's one of the classic Superfan sketches from when Saturday Night Live was funny...
tagged: movie, YouTube, video, football, Bears, Super Bowl, Shuffle, NFL, sports, pop culture