Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Brooksidian

One of the annual traditions my family has developed is attending the Brookside St. Patrick's Day parade, which always takes place a week before St. Paddy's Day.

Admittedly, I'm not much of a parade guy. But being able to experience them through the eyes of our 4-year-old makes them much more enjoyable.

Anyway, does anyone else think the Brookside parade is loosing a little of its lustre? I dunno, it just seems like there used to be a lot more pageantry, more effort put into making the floats more festive. I seem to recall more costumes and costumes that were more elaborate.

To me it seemed like this year's parade was just a bunch of politicians in fancy cars. There were only a couple of floats.

I don't know if it's because some of the local stores are being run out of Brookside, but I got the impression that the businesses that did participate opted to just walk along and pass out fliers rather than build a decorated float. Doesn't seem like they quite got into the spirit of the event this year.

Anyway, that's just one man's opinion, and I admit that I'm not much in to parades anyway. If you were there, tell me what you thought.

In the meantime, here are some pics I snapped (and yes, that is KCMO mayoral candidate Mark Funkhouser dressed as a leprechaun).









tagged: , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Your turn to riff...