Thursday, May 25, 2006

Book Report: Welcome to two years ago

I picked up a copy of an obscure little novel the other day to help pass the time during a long weekend trip to a high school graduation ceremony.

You may or may not have heard of The Da Vinci Code, a quick little read that swept the nation a couple of years ago. The fact that I just picked it up last weekend pretty much makes me the last person in the known universe to read it.

My initial thought after reading the first few chapters was "Hey, they should make a movie out of this."

But seriously, I gotta say, 50 chapters in, I don't get what all the hubbub is about. Sure, it's a good yarn, but I haven't read anything that I would consider controversial.

So the fictional account of the quest for the Holy Grail attacks Christianity. You would think Christianity would be used to this by now. There have only been, what, a dozen or so Holy Grail movies? None of which were as good as the opus by Monty Python.

But then again, it's not like Catholics are lining up to burn embassies over this, so no biggie.

My biggest disappointment is in Dan Brown's writing style. This is the first of Brown's books that I've read. The plot is rife with twists and turns, but the structure the narrative is a bit clipped and full of literary gimmicks.

There are lots of four-paragraph flashbacks, for instance. And did you notice how Brown sets up a really tough situation only to have a character resolve it simply by having flash of intuition?
"Langdon had no idea how they were going to figure out the secret combination. Then suddenly it came to him. The combination was his social security number in reverse."
See what I mean? I dunno, just seems a bit too easy to me.

But still it's a passable novel if not a classic. I'm looking forward to finishing the read, then seeing the movie in a couple of years when it's out on DVD or aired on HBO.

tagged: , , , , , ,

3 comments:

  1. I gave in about 18 months ago after I heard that our president had read the book. I figured that, like American Idol, it had become a vital part of the country's dialogue. You either join in or get left behind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The worst thing is that it's kind of embarrasing sitting in the coffee shop reading it and people look at me like I just crawled out of a cave.

    By the way, when I'm done reading this book, I'm going to try to solve the Rubik's Cube.

    And what's this American Idol you mentioned???

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may or may not have heard of The Da Vinci Code, a quick little read that swept the nation a couple of years ago. The fact that I just picked it up last weekend pretty much makes me the last person in the known universe to read it.

    You would be wrong about that, because my just finishing it this past Friday morning would make ME the last person in the cosmos to have read it. Otherwise, though, we're in agreement about the writing, though my particular take on it is that the narrator's frequent reminding the reader of Langdon's claustrophobia is what passes for character development in this thing.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn to riff...